Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Controversy

I stumbled across the adorable blog of "B" today while nursing my school-worn mind with the lives of lovely people. She had a list of things she was for/against. I thought it was a neat idea, especially to see if my thoughts change over time. Controversial issues yay.
Abortion: I think that if birth control was more readily available abortion wouldn't be such a problem. It has been my ovservation that the girls who get abortions are the nice white girls whose parents don't think their daughters could possible be having sex, and whose daughters are too afraid to tell their parents anything. I am against late-term abortion, but it's your body...do what you will. People who think they need abortions probably wouldn't have been great parents anyway. Make adoption programs strong so that young girls who really aren't ready for a baby can feel secure giving their child to strangers.
Alcohol: Lower the drinking age. I don't drink, I don't party, nor do I ever plan to be out of my mind drunk (I like to have control over myself), but after talking with several kids from the UK and observing the behaviour and irresponsibility of my peers, a lower drinking age wouldn't be as terrible as it sounds. Kids are more responsible when they don't have to sneak around.
Capital Punishment: This might sound messed up, but killing someone isn't going to teach them a lesson. It is more economical, however.
Drug Legalization: Pot is the only thing I'd consider legalizing. It's already all over the place. Unfortunately, it is easily laced with other drugs. Not cool.
Euthanasia: I'm for lethal injection under strict, well-thought out circumstances and only by full consent of the patient, with the doctor's permission/assesion of the patient's mental state to make such decisions. Death doesn't have to be painful.
Global Warming/Environment: We need to get better about recycling, because really, it's entirely logical. As for the dramatic melting ice caps, please. It's turned into a business and lost its meaning along the way.
Immigration: There are hard-working people who come to the US just to work and support their families, but don't want to transplant the hitos and abuelas. Create a work program (kind of like in the 1930s) and take control away from the drug lords. It'll give us a better, more organized work force and them a safer journey.
Prayer in Public Schools: Say the pledge as written, if only for its historical value. Anything after that should be optional but not banned.
Racism: Also not cool. But the more prevalent thing I've seen has to do with...
Homosexuality: There is a difference between marriage of the state and marriage of the church. For legal reasons, I see no reason why the state should not grant marriage. Each individual denomination can decide for themselves. Don't be freaked out by two guys kissing. It's sweet. I know some gay couples who have much more mature and committed relationships than opposite gender couples of the same age.
Smoking: Colorado has a ban on all smoking inside public places (with the exception of tobacco shops). It's wonderful. Those who wish to smoke can sit outside, or in the winter can sit in their car and smoke. Simple. Clean for the rest of us.

Umm that's all I can think of right now. Responses/debation welcome.

0 comments: